Late antique and medieval fortress Hisarlaka
The fortress dates back to the 4th – 5th century. It is situated on the Hisarlaka hill, which rises to 2 km southeast of the town of Kyustendil. The fortress was used and rebuilt many times during ancient and medieval times.
Art gallery “Vladimir Dimitrov – The Master”
The art gallery is on the list of the 100 Tourist Sites of Bulgaria. It was established in 1972 in honour of the 90th anniversary of Vladimir Dimitrov – the Master. It is the largest building in the country, specially built for a City art gallery with natural overhead lighting. There is a permanent exposition, called the Master, which contains more than 200 works of the artist Vladimir Dimitrov – the Master.
The House-Museum of Dimitar Peshev
Dimitar Peshev is a Bulgarian politician, known for his great role in saving the Bulgarian Jews. The house is on the list of the 100 Touris Sites of Bulgaria. In 2002 it was restored and turned into a museum.
The Medieval Church “St. George”
The church dates back to the 12th – 13th century and is one of the oldest churches in Southwestern Bulgaria. It is a national cultural monument of great archeological, atistic and historical value. It is assumed that the grave of the Bulgarian Tsar Mihail Shishman III ia there.
Regional History Museum “Academician Yordan Ivanov”
It was opened in 1897 and is one of the oldest and largest museums in the country. It contains very rich museum collections and exhibitions from all historical eras.
Museum “Emfiedzhieva House”
The ethnologist collection in the Regional History Museum in the town of Kyustendil was discovered at the home of the artisan Hristo Lazov Kazandzhiyata. The house was built in 1874.
The Rila Monastery
It was founded in the 10th century by St. Ivan Rilski, near the upper reaches of the Rila river. The Rila Monastery is one of the most important cultural monuments in Bulgaria, a symbol of Bulgaria, listed on the World Heritage of UNESCO. It is located 90 km from Kyustendil.